Kishore Kumar - A Treasure Trove

Richie Lionell | Aug 04, 2017 | | | |


We happened to find an entire dump of close to 1500 Hindi movie songs (released) of Kishore Kumar & feasted on it. An accurate database of Bollywood songs is so hard to find and we were simply happy to depend entirely on the information provided by the meta tags from the mp3 dump. In the guise of 'analysis' our folk had a jolly good time.

Kishore Da did more duets (774) than solos (640). His solos combined with 341 duets with Asha Bhosle & 222 duets with Lata Mangeshkar form close to 80% of his released Hindi movie songs. The remaining 20% of songs was with a variety of other singers. In the 80s he worked more with Asha Bhosle than Lata Mangeshkar.

Seven music directors composed 82% of the songs Kishore Kumar sang. The 'RD Burman - Kishore Kumar' combine is a part of Hindi film music folklore. Laxmikant - Pyarelal, Bappi Lahiri, Kalyanji - Anandji, Rajesh Roshan, S D Burman & Shankar - Jaikishan are the other six. Unlike Asha Bhosle, Lata Mangeshkar never sang a Kishore Kumar composition.

Kishore Kumar for his compositions mostly preferred the Major scale than the Minor scale similar to SD Burman. RD Burman & Laxmikant - Pyarelal too were slightly inclined to Major scale songs while the others maintained a balance. Why don't you grab a guitar and try some of these? Remember, the scales are an approximate finding.


| |